From May 24 to June 14, charities were encouraged to complete nomination forms to officially enter their organization in the Tops Great American Charity Car Giveaway. From June 21 to July 7, users voted once a day for their favorite charity through the Tops Web site or through the Tops facebook page. The top 10 charities that received the most votes were selected to move to the final round of voting. From July 13 to July 26, users can vote for one of the top 10 charities once per day through the Tops website or facebook page. The votes will be tallied and after July 26, a winner of a brand new vehicle will be announced.
“As a neighborhood grocer, giving back to our local communities is an extremely important part of our business,” said Frank Curci, Tops’ president and CEO. “This online contest is a new, exciting concept for us and allows community members to have a voice in deciding where the prize will ultimately go. We’re eager to begin top ten voting and ultimately award the donation, especially during this time when charitable organizations needing a new transportation vehicle may not have the necessary funds to purchase one.”
The Great American Charity Car Giveaway is the first online campaign of its kind by a grocery retailer in the western New York, central New York and northern Pennsylvania area and enables online users to choose from their favorite local charities within Tops’ operating areas, and vote for them to win a new vehicle valued at $20,000. To be eligible for the program, charities had to be a registered 501(c) (3) non profit organization, and meet other eligibility requirements as described the program's rules.
The campaign has been introduced exclusively on Tops Markets’ website and newly developed facebook page. Tops re-launched its company website in early 2011 and launched its Tops Friendly Markets facebook page in early April.
Top Ten Great American Charity Car Giveaway Organizations:
- East House Corporation, Rochester, NY – East House Corporation is a private, non-profit rehabilitation agency that provides residential, rehabilitation and support services to individuals recovering from mental illness and/or chemical dependency.
- St. Luke's Mission of Mercy, Buffalo, NY – The mission of St. Luke’s Mission of Mercy is to work toward fullness of life, for all people, of all ages, of all cultures, of all social status, and of all faiths. That their tools be unconditional acceptance, peaceful understanding and loving forgiveness in order to restore human dignity to the lonely, the broken-hearted, and the mentally and physically oppressed.
- Joan A. Male Family Support Center, Buffalo, NY – The Joan A. Male Family Support Center’s mission is to provide free support to families and safety to children when parenting gets tough, 24 hours, 7 days a week.
- The Arc of Orleans County, Albion, NY – ARC of Orleans County’s mission is to offer support, advocacy and a variety of services and opportunities primarily for individuals with disabilities and their families to pursue their desired quality of life.
- Genesee ARC, Batavia, NY - Genesee ARC provides programs and services for children and adults with disabilities and their families.
- Meals on Wheels for Western New York, Inc., Buffalo, NY – Meals on Wheels for Western New York’s mission is to deliver daily nutritious meals and to provide related support services to those members of the community who have a limited ability to shop and/or prepare meals for themselves.
- Rivershore, Inc., Lewiston, NY - Rivershore, Inc. supports people who live with developmental disabilities as they pursue and achieve a meaningful life.
- Heim Elementary Playground Fund, Amherst, NY - The Heim Elementary Playground Fund's mission is to build a new playground for use by students at Heim Elementary, Heim Middle and the community. The proposed new playground will not only be a safer playground, it will also be the only completely barrier-free and wheelchair-accessible playground in the region.
- St. Francis Social Day Care, Syracuse, NY – The St. Francis Social Day Care’s mission is to build community and provide service by providing personalized, loving care to the functionally impaired and their caregivers.
- Buffalo City Mission, Buffalo, NY – The Buffalo City Mission offers long-term recovery programs, counseling, work and life-skills training, education assistance and health-care services for homeless men, women and families who are committed to turning their lives around.